FIND OTHER WAYS
There is more than one way of looking at anything. Your thinking can be more effective if you make a deliberate effort to find alternative ways of looking at things.
1. For each of the following there is at least one alternative way of looking at things:
- A chicken is a method for producing eggs.
- A woman is taking an energetic dog for a walk.
- An exam is a method of testing what you know.
2. Girls and women often wear make-up. Can you find four alternative ways of looking at the reasons for this?
3.** Thousands of people die every year in traffic accidents. Can you find two alternative ways of looking at this problem?
4. Police officers, soldiers, hospital nurses, and some students wear uniforms. What are the alternative ways of looking at uniforms?
5. Do you agree with the following alternative ways of looking at school?
- A way of teaching young people the knowledge and skills they need in life.
- A way of keeping children out of the home and giving them something to do.
- A way of giving jobs to school principals, teachers and everyone in education.
- An opportunity for boys and girls to teach themselves if they want to.
- A way of training for a job that will later pay you money.
6.** How many different ways can you find of looking at money?
7.** A new protein food is invented. It is very nutritious but it tastes so bad that people will not eat it even if they are starving. How many different approaches to this problem can you suggest?
8. Three boys are found guilty of starting a hotel fire in which a person was killed. They say they only meant to start a small fire for fun. If you were the judge, in how many alternative ways could you look at this?